Vancouver Whitecaps vs FC Dallas Game Recap

Posted: August 16, 2012 in Uncategorized

VANCOUVER, B.C. – On a rare hot and humid night in Vancouver visiting FC Dallas turned up the heat on the Whitecaps and defeated the team they currently trail in the Western Conference 2-0. FC Dallas found the back of the net twice in the 2nd half thanks to goals by Fabian Castillo and Jonathan Top. With this win FC Dallas moves to within 8 points of the Whitecaps for the 5th and final playoff spot in the competitive Western Conference.

The Whitecaps and FC Dallas both started off slow making poor passes, and firing terrible shot attempts that went well wide of the target. Even the bhangara drummers sitting in south end of the BC Place Stadium seemed to be not quite right. It took most of the first half for all 22 players to look like actual soccer players playing in a crucial game. FC Dallas midfielder Fabian Castillo looked to be the only dangerous player on the pitch. The Columbian international was using his speed effectively on the left flank giving Whitecaps defender Alain Rochat plenty of trouble. However when Castillo finished his run he had nobody to pass to and his efforts to generate offense did not materialize.

Vancouver Whitecaps defender Martin Bonjour picked up a very suspicious looking yellow card in the 34th minute after FC Dallas midfielder David Ferreira went to ground after some harmless contact with Bonjour. Referee Matthew Foerster, who was officiating his 4th career MLS game had a brutal night. Bonjour’s yellow would be the first of 9 yellow cards combined for both teams. Foerster was a complete disaster as a referee and was in over his head all night long. Until he can officiate a soccer game without a million fouls, and whistles Foerster belongs in a classroom with Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen.

The best chance for either team in the first half came from Camilo who curled a free kick over the FC Dallas wall and flush off the crossbar. Disappointed not to have scored Camilo picked up a yellow card to end the first half for a tackle on Andrew Jacobson. As both teams went into half time tied at 0-0 diving, fouls, and dangerous tackles were taking place all over the pitch. This would set the tone for all the aggressive and combative play in the 2nd half for both teams.

Looking to open the scoring in the 2nd half the Whitecaps pressed forward and had a fantastic opportunity to break the dead lock in the 52nd minute from a Barry Robson free kick. Robson hammered his kick directly on net however FC Dallas goalie Kevin Hartman was quick to punch the ball away out of danger. The Whitecaps failed to get a rebound and having that chance slip away really hurt them when FC Dallas opened the scoring 10 minutes later.

Zach Lloyd sent in a long throw that David Ferreira was able to turn off his defender, Andy O’Brien as he then found Fabian Castillo in a dangerous position. Alain Rochat and Martin Bonjour did not handle Castillo well and he was able to split the pair of Whitecaps defenders. Castillo fired the ball off the post and in from his knees for his 4th goal of the season. Castillo darted around the field all game and gave the Whitecaps back four fits all night. The Whitecaps giveaways and lack of composure and togetherness also contributed to Castillo looking phenomenal.

FC Dallas added to their goal total after a huge defensive breakdown by the Whitecaps in the 70th minute. David Ferreira out raced and out muscled Andy O’Brien to the ball and O’Brien eventually fell down. Ferreira cut in on Martin Bonjour before stopping and passing to substitute Jonathan Top who converted past a helpless Joe Cannon. Bonjour did not get back in time to come even close to breaking up the two on one scoring opportunity. Ferreira picked up his 2nd assist on the night and Top scored his first career MLS goal.

A skirmish broke out in the 85th minute when Y.P. Lee got tangled up with David Ferreira. Ferreira went down like he had been shot and that drew the ire of Whitecaps midfielder Jun Marques Davidson. Davidson tried to pull Ferreira up but the diving Colombian wasn’t too happy with that offer. Pushing and shoving ensued and after that died down Davidson, Ferreira, and Y.P. Lee were all issued yellow cards. Frustration for the Whitecaps was evident throughout the game and even captain Barry Robson had a moment he would probably like to have back. With the game in extra time and the ball out of play Robson kicked the ball towards a line judge. He missed, and was awarded an unnecessary yellow card. Robson was still quite frustrated and upset when he talked to the media after the game.

“It’s the most frustrating game I think I’ve ever played. I found it really hard tonight. The frustration does get to you, but you have to get on with it, we have to try better. We can’t take anything away from them, they won the game.”

FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman and Vancouver Whitecaps coach Martin Rennie both talked about the aggressive play and excessive fouls called during the game.

“There were too many cards and way too many fouls. I coached college soccer for 32 years; anything over 20 fouls is ridiculous. Today we had 17 while Vancouver had 24 and probably a lot of fouls that were not called. It turned out to be a more physical game than it should’ve been.”

Rennie wasn’t as brash and out spoken as his counterpart and did not want to throw anyone under the bus with his post game comments.

“We don’t generally have too many fouls in the game and today was stop and start for both teams. The referee chose to call more than others do and fair enough, but that meant the game didn’t get enough energy and flow and resulted in a pretty poor game to watch.”

The Whitecaps can’t lose their composure when they get down and things don’t go there way. That is not how championship soccer teams are built. This was Vancouver’s first loss at home since April 18 against Sporting Kansas City and they did not look at all like the team fans have watched all season long. Both teams were missing key contributors who were away on international duty. The Whitecaps really missed the pace and speed of Jamaican duo Darren Mattocks, and Dane Richards. Captain Jay DeMerit was sidelined with concussion like symptoms and midfielder Gershon Koffie missed the game due to suspension. On this Wednesday night the Whitecaps depth everyone had heard so much about was non-existent. The team will have to hope the return of several key contributors can produce some big results down the stretch as they hunt for a coveted MLS playoff spot.

Notes: Canadian Women’s Soccer Olympic Bronze medallists Emily Zurrer, Karina LeBlanc, and Sophie Schmidt received a standing ovation from the crowd of 19,006 before the game. Whitecaps players Kenny Miller, and Andy O’Brien earned their first career start for the Whitecaps. FC Dallas will host the final match-up between these clubs on Saturday, September 15, at FC Dallas Stadium at 5:30 P.M. PT.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s