Kenny Miller shines as the Vancouver Whitecaps beat New England 4-3

Posted: June 16, 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: , ,

VANCOUVER, B.C – The New England Revolution made their final trip to the Pacific Northwest on Saturday night in Vancouver, and were thoroughly out played by the Vancouver Whitecaps in a thrilling 4-3 match before 20,116 fans at BC Place Stadium.

After falling behind 2-0 in the first twenty minutes, the Whitecaps scored 3-unanswered 1st half goals to take control of the game. Kenny Miller scored fantastic goals in both halves, and Camilo Sanvezzo scored from the spot when Andrew Farrell was given an unnecessary red card in the 1st half.

Jordan Harvey gave the Whitecaps the lead for good with his 2nd goal in his last 3 games. New England resembled a the team that slumped their way through the Eastern Conference MLS standings last season, and Vancouver finally held out to preserve a late lead.

New England opened the scoring with a pair of quick goals thanks to some poor defending by the Whitecaps.

Juan Agudelo raced up the field to catch a long ball from Chris Tierney, and ran past Johnny Leveron, and Jordan Harvey. The 20 year-old Colombian-American slotted the ball past a surprised Brad Knighton on 10′.

The Revs worked a lovely passing play in the 20′ to go up 2-nil.

Saer Sene and Diego Fagundez found Kelyn Rowe in close, and he easily converted a tap in-goal. The Caps defense was caught unaware, and Vancouver looked to be in for a long evening of defensive gaffes and misfortune in their own half.

The turning point in the match game when Kenny Miller had his heel clipped by Andrew Farrell when he was in alone on Revolution keeper Bobby Shuttleworth. Miller earned a controversial penalty for the home side out of the challenge.

Referee Juan Guzman came running up the field, and eventually pointed to the spot. A visibly upset Farrell was shown a straight red, reducing the Revs to ten men. The 21 year-old rookie from Louisville, Kentucky was taking full blame for his sending off when he talked to the media.

“It was a good ball they played in behind. I got caught off-guard because I didn’t see Kenny Miller coming in from behind, from my left side. It was kind of a quick play. I had my hand, I think, on his back and I don’t think it’s a foul, but obviously it’s in the run of play, so you can’t really see it.

On the replay it looks like a foul, so, it’s tough going down a man. The team fought really well and really hard. I blame myself because I think if we’re 11 on 11, I think we get a good result. But the boys did well and fought hard. You know, it’s just a tough result and I really felt like it was my fault.

Camilo Sanvezzo stepped up, and fired the ball to the right side of the net past Shuttleworth who guessed correctly, but could not prevent the Brazilian’s shot from going in.

Having been a crucial part of the Whitecaps opening goal, Kenny Miller decided to score his own goal in the 39′. Miller chipped the ball over Revolution defender Stephen McCarthy and ran past everyone on the pitch. The Scotsman came down on an angle and scored to the left of Shuttleworth.

Jordan Harvey scored the final goal of the 1st half thanks to a brilliant cross from Russell Teibert. The talented Whitecaps Midfielder found Harvey at the back right post, and the left back from Mission Viejo, California had his shot go off Shuttleworth and into the net in the 43′. Vancouver would head into half-time with an astonishing 3-2 lead after surrendering the opening 2 goals of the match.

Not wanting to head back to Massachusetts with a shocking collapse, and loss. Jay Heaps Revolution came out for the 2nd half with more control, and more composure. New England started to slow the game down and take better care of the ball. The Whitecaps have had tendencies to sit back once they take the lead towards the end of a match. Vancouver looked to be settling into an all familiar trend until Whitecaps Captain Kenny Miller scored a beautiful goal.

Camilo Sanvezzo delivered the ball up the pitch to Miller. After stopping, and controlling the ball as it bounced off the field, Miller then headed the ball down and rifled the ball top right corner past Shuttleworth to give Vancouver a 2-goal lead. Shuttleworth was caught off his line, and New England’s defenders were no match for Kenny Miller’s brilliance from just outside the New England box.

Following the match Miller commented on his teams comeback win.

“We showed a lot of character…I mean we had the right mentality, and the right thoughts to get back into the game. We’re disappointed in the goals we lose, but we’re happy to get the three points.”

The Revs were able to score a late goal from substitute Dimitry Imbongo in the 84′ however it just wasn’t enough as the Whitecaps prevailed in what was an exciting match for everyone in attendance.

New England Revolution leading goal scorer Diego Fagundez had this to say on his team’s defeat.

“It was a tough game. We got two early goals and then it was a fight to the end. It was hard to get back into the game when they scored a couple and we just have to learn from this.”

Both keepers didn’t get very much help on this evening, and defense was nowhere to be found. Once in a while you get a game where everything on target feels like it could result in a goal. That’s exactly what unfolded at BC Place. New England were in a hole after Farrell was dismissed, and they simply could not adjust. Credit must also be given to the Whitecaps who finally put their foot on an opponents throat and scored in bunches when it mattered.

Vancouver Whitecaps: Brad Knighton; Y. P. Lee, Carlyle Mitchell, Johnny Leveron, Jordan Harvey; Diego Kobayashi, Nigel Reo-Coker (Jun Marques Davidson 78), Matt Watson (Kekuta Manneh 66); Russell Teibert, Camilo Sanvezzo (Erik Hurtado 74), Kenny Miller (C).

Substitutions: Joe Cannon, Adam Clement, Jun Marques Davidson, Kekuta Manneh, Erik Hurtado, Darren Mattocks, Tom Heinemann.

New England Revolution:  Bobby Shuttleworth;  Andrew Farrell, Stephen McCarthy, Jose Goncalves (C), Chris Tierney; Diego Fagundez (Dimitry Imbongo 69), Kelyn Rowe, Scott Caldwell, Lee Nguyen; Saer Sene (Darius Barnes 29), Juan Agudelo (Ryan Guy 74).

Substitutions: Matt Reis, A.J. Soares, Chad Barrett, Andy Dorman, Ryan Guy, Darius Barnes, Dimitry Imbongo.

Notes: Whitecaps Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker appeared to be favouring his leg when he was subbed off in the 78th minute. The Vancouver Whitecaps will host Chivas USA on Wednesday, June 19 at BC Place, and New England will travel to DC United for US Open Cup Quarter-finals match on Wednesday, June 26 at Maryland Soccerplex.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s